About Me

My photo
I am currently studying Bachelor of Learning Management (Secondary / VET). My employment history includes, trainer and training coordinator for business, retail, hospitality, literacy and numeracy courses. I enjoy teaching and have decided to take the next step. On a personal note, my husband and 2 children are the reason why I strive to be the best I can be. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

RSS Aggregator



Screen captures of Sage the program (add-on) I uploaded for Mozilla Firefox.

Overview
Is a tool that has been created to allow you to easily monitor multiple blogs and websites that are regularly updated. You can get an RSS Aggregator display on your internet program (Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox) or you can get it in some of your other accounts online for example Google Reader.

Strength

Allows you to see multiple blogs and websites quickly and easily, with Sage it is just a column on the side of the page which you can either show or hide and click on the title of the page you are following and it instantly shows you all of the blog posts (see pictures above). All pictures and links in the document are still active (shown) and you can click on the title of the blog site and go straight there.

Weakness
It does not show other changes to the blogger account, for example I made a change to the Blog comments page and it did not show on the RSS aggregator.

Opportunity
This is an excellent tool for monitoring students work, you can see quickly and easily if students have completed the assigned task and go straight to the site to make comments.

Threat
Students need to understand how to blog and use the internet, also other students can leave nasty comments in the comment section.

Compatibility with learning styles
Students who are linguistic or visual learners would do well at this task because of the writing needed and the ability to upload images.

What learning theory it is most used for (links to this blog site)
RSS can be a form of Connectivism.

Meaning to me

This is a highly beneficial tool that I can see myself using in the future to monitor students work and also to monitor other sites including Education Queensland and other favorite sites to see any developments that may help me in teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment