About Me

My photo
I am currently studying Bachelor of Learning Management (Secondary / VET). My employment history includes, trainer and training coordinator for business, retail, hospitality, literacy and numeracy courses. I enjoy teaching and have decided to take the next step. On a personal note, my husband and 2 children are the reason why I strive to be the best I can be. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

E-Learning Frameworks - TPACK

Technological, Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK)

Description

TPACK looks at technology, pedagogy and content holistically. Emphasising that in order to teach effectively you need to deliver content in a pedagogically appropriate manner so it can be internalised by students. When technology is introduced to this blend of content and pedagogy it must be done in a manner that enhances the lesson, and teaches knowledge of technology at the same time. Students knowledge is to be grown in all areas, the actual subject (content), how to learn and internalise information (pedagogy) and methods of communicating the information (technology). All areas have their own imperatives (things that must be covered) and constraints (things that limit delivery), that need to be understood in order for TPACK to succeed (Mishra & Koehler, 2006).

Plus

Ensures that content, pedagogy and technology are looked at in depth to ensure that they are all covered appropriately in the most effective manner.

Minus

A good understanding of all key areas (content, pedagogy and technology) is needed to ensure that TPACK is successful. Inadequate knowledge in any one aspect could lead to ineffective teaching.

Interesting

This looks to be a highly beneficial framework, and seems a highly logical way to undertake ICT related teaching.

Personal reflection

TPACK is a great tool that has many benefits due to its foci on the key needs for using ICT in classrooms.

Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(Number 6), 1017-1054.

2 comments:

  1. I like this framework because it covers all areas, content, pedagogy and technology. Sometimes it seems students are asked to use technology independent of content and learning, just because it is available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, I was really leaning towards this one too, for most of my research and it is still ranked up there for me, it is vitally important to have all aspects considered and TPACK really covers that, but after looking at all of the frameworks I am now leaning more towards The Big 6, mainly because of the foci and review mechanisims in place, The Big 6 I feel does fall short though by not linking enough to the content / curriculum, so I will add that to it making it a Big 7 for me! I agree that technology can not just be used for technology sake or just because the kids are comfortable and like a certain mode of learning.

    ReplyDelete